Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The way the Spirit speaks.

My good friend, Sorella Baker, is the other missionary that is featured in my blog picture (on the left). We were in the MTC together until she left for Italy. I have fond memories of studying the scriptures for HOURS together before the mission and laughing about how bad we were going to be at speaking our mission languages (me leaving to serve in Spanish - her in Italian) I remember discussing our worries about being able to adequately convey the message of Jesus Christ to people in a language that we were just learning.

We both quickly learned together in the MTC that the Holy Ghost speaks Spirit to Spirit - and it didn't matter if we were saying things wrong, because we knew that what we were saying was true.

I recently received a story from a dear friend of mine that was baptized almost 8 months ago

"So last night I went to this I Am Mormon fireside and two sisters got up and sang I know my redeemer lives first verse in English, then one sang a verse in Spanish, and well one sang the next one in Italian. I was sitting next to K and we just looked at each other and started crying it was so beautiful. It really testified that the spirit knows no language. During that song it was almost impossible not to think about you and Sorella Baker while those two sisters sang in the language both of you have been teaching in. After the song I looked over to Ks sister's friend who had come with us and I saw that she was crying. I obviously don't know what she was feeling, but the spirit was so strong during that song it was impossible not to feel it. It brought me back to when I was first learning about the church and I felt the spirit but didn't recognize it as that. It's just really special seeing someone who is feeling the spirit, but doesn't know quite yet  - but the blessings are so close."

And all I really have to say is AMEN to her experience. The Spirit really does speak straight to our hearts, to our souls. I see it daily. It is incredible. And I know that the Spirit wouldn't testify in that way if what we taught wasn't true. The Spirit only testifies of truth (Jacob 4:13) I know that it is true. The Spirit has taught me that in many languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment